Throw it into the air and watch it fly
1. Cut out the rectangular pattern and cut along all lines marked X
2. Fold along line A and then straighten the fold back out.
3. Fold lines B and C back so the two flaps overlap.
4. Fold along line D toward the back.
5. Fold along line E toward the back, then reverse and fold line E again to the front.
6. Fold line A back up to form a little bend or hook at the bottom.
7. Use a paper clip to hold the hook down flat.
If you wish to do this project with a group, here is a page of four patterns in PDF format.
Since I'm a science teacher, I couldn't resist teaching a lesson using the paper helicopter. If you would like to give it a try, here is my lesson plan in PDF format. If you do end up doing this lesson, please let me know how it went.